Monday 1 August 2011

the best things...happen while we're dancing


Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire - Top Hat 1935



I am very disappointed in myself when I say that Top Hat is the first Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire film I've seen. Considering my childhood of old films and musicals, it seems almost impossible. Now I know what 'Fred and Ginger' means, I feel like I've discovered a whole knew world...and since this 'world' includes nine other toe-tapping movies to feed my knew obsession the couple will probably become a regular on this here blog.

Just look at these pictures, you don't get anything as wonderful as that anymore. That dress, designed by Rogers herself, so that it would emphasise her movement in just the right way, that is what fashion is about. The talent of this pair is astonishing in this day and age. Although it did bear resemblance to a fabulous dress I wore on a shoot for an equally fabulous designer/person Thidarat Kaha, who constructed the dress out of human hair and extensions, so I felt like a mix of Ginger Rogers and Maryann Forrester from True Blood.


















"Sure he was great, but don't forget Ginger Rogers did everything he did backwards . . . and in high heels!"
-- Bob Thaves 1982 © NEA Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment