Sunday 8 July 2012

WALES WATCHING

Its like bird watching, but just me ticking of a long list of movies to watch....in Wales. As you can see I set out to do word summarys but tought I may aswell just add quick selfindulged notes.  Film = culture so go watch these...

MIDNIGHT COWBOY



Flawless film, classic soundtrack, staggering acting, Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman consume there characters, and some really groundbreaking film making defining an era.


THE ENGLISH PATIENT


Brilliant film and visually stunning, so interesting for me seeing Ralph Finnes and Kristen Scott-Thomas, two I think extraordinary actors, although I didn't warm to their characters so therefore didn't particulary root for their story. Altough there were many interesting plots interweaving, overall a must-see and definatly left a lump in my throat.


KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS and PASSPORT TO PIMLICO
veiw the actual trailer here


After watching both of these I now know why my mum pipes on about them, nothing better than a classic, british, Ealing comedy espheshially as one had an early cameo from a young Charles Hawtrey along with many recognisable faces. These storys are still as original and untainted by modern mainstream sell-out hollywood, distinctly 'bladdy' brilliant.



THE BIRDS


Timeless trailer here, with Hitchcock introducing the film. As a renouned classic I actually didn't know what to expect. As with most Hitchcock movies, expect the unexpected as it opened as a screw-ball comedy turned 'LIFE' documentary but I was altogether to distracted by 'Tippi' Hedburn looking like Paris Hilton and wanting her to be attacked by birds. Give or take a few suspense held glanses and camera angles it surprisingly seemed un-hitchcock in its storytelling. An audience thriller, but not a pleaser.


THE HELP



Like all these other movies, I had never actually watched the trailers so it was nice going in to this with a fresh mind. I'm a complete sucker for anything Hairspray, 60's or 'checkerboard chick' orientated so I really enjoyed this movie and found it entertaining while maintaining a focus on the subject. Altough I didn't think Emma Stones face suited the period, and its probably wrong to say this as the story is wholly American, but I felt like it needed some brittish grit to really move the audience and after seeing the extras where the directer explains they had to leave a scene out at the end because they wanted a happy ending proves my theory.


THE MAGDALENE SISTERS



Another recently watched film, supurbly cast and acted. Standout performance from Eileen Walsh and I discovered why I'd always found Mrs Marple disturbing with Geraldine McEwan's haunting role as Sister Bridget. Thought provocking, funny and empowering.

Stunning opening scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment